It'd be a lot cooler if you did!

October 2nd, 2024 Newsletter

Cold Deck Quote:

"You get your chips your way.  I'll get my chips mine."  - Phil Ivey

What in the word...... "Cooler"

Mighty chilly in there!

The other night at the VFW, I open min-raised TT from the HJ and was reraised all in to 9 BB by the CO (Rosalee).  The action folded around to me and I called.  She turned over JJ and she held.

All of this is pretty standard.  A player then asked if that was a cooler.  There was a bit of debate on the subject and some differing opinions.

One person immediately said that yes it was.  Another opined that a cooler can only happen postflop to which someone mentioned KK vs AA preflop.  Needless to say, I thought I would have been able to give a definitive definition but I was wrong.

But I was going to find out.

Now before I get into what I found, If my feet had been put to the fire before I looked it up, I probably would have said something along these lines:  A cooler is a hand that is set up to where neither player in the hand makes a mistake yet either one goes broke or the other doubles up.  An example I would have given would have been the aforementioned KK vs AA or for a postflop example, flopping set over set.  (a set is 3 of a kind with paired hole cards)

A PokerNews article sites a full house over full house scenario and a straight flush vs straight flush.  So their definition is very exclusive indeed.

Upswing poker uses more down to earth examples of a flush vs straight and set over set.  The first example seems very inclusive and I would question whether it would qualify in my mind.

I looked through more articles but nothing was definitive so I can conclude that the term is very subjective.

What is not subjective is if you play with Rosalee, prepare to be put on the ice block.

Seeking feedback.

Recently a couple of our members have brought up suggestions to improve our game.  When we get a suggestion, Joe, Jonathan, or myself will jot it down and we will discuss the merits of such a proposal at our annual meeting in early April.

Suggestions can be anything related to the game.  I can tell you that if you suggest we turn this into a RAZZ tournament, it isn't going to happen.  However, buyin amount, structure of the tournament, points accumulation and associated packages are all great subject in which to make a suggestion.  If you have something in mind, mention it before April and I assure you we will bring it up for conversation.

This week's Tip of the Cap goes to.... All of you who have given me feedback on this newsletter / blog over the last few months.  It means a lot to me.

Zoom with Joe!  Joe hosts a free zoom meetup during our Tuesday Freezeout games.  Give it a try if that sounds like fun.

The ZOOM password is 432777

Image

2025 Points Leaders

  1. Joe Schwenk 19
  2. David Paukovitz 14
  3. Garrett Thurston 13
  4. Ryan Conner 13
  5. Chris Lannoye 12
  6. Rex Bell 12

Recent Results

  • September 24th, 2024
  • 1st - Rex B.
  • 2nd - David P.
  • 3rd - Tommy H.
  • 4th - Joe S.
  • August 27th, 2024
  • 1st - Ryan C.
  • 2nd - Joe S.
  • 3rd - Rex B..
  • 4th - Jeff J.

Coach's Corner

Here is a short video on seat selection.  This is good for cash games and any tournament at which you can choose your seat in the beginning.

 

Little things like this add up.  Play smart.

 

Level: Beginner

Image

2025 Points Leaders

  1. Joe Schwenk 19
  2. David Paukovitz 14
  3. Garrett Thurston 13
  4. Ryan Conner 13
  5. Chris Lannoye 12
  6. Rex Bell 12

Recent Tuesday Freezeout Results

  • September 24th, 2024
  • 1st - Rex B.
  • 2nd - David P.
  • 3rd - Tommy H.
  • 4th - Joe S.
  • August 27th, 2024
  • 1st - Ryan C.
  • 2nd - Joe S.
  • 3rd - Rex B..
  • 4th - Jeff J.

Coach's Corner

Here is a short video on seat selection.  This is good for cash games and any tournament at which you can choose your seat in the beginning.

 

Little things like this add up.  Play smart.

 

Level: Beginner

Venmo Addresses

 

Michael Culpepper - @Michael-Culpepper-14

Joe Schwenk - @Joseph-Schwenk

Jonathan Ayala - @Jonathan-Ayala-55

Have any questions or feedback for this newsletter?  If so, please email me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet the legend. - Jerze Joe

2024 WSOP Prize Pool Allocation

May Newsletter