The Summer of Ryan

September, 6, 2023 Newsletter

Cold Deck Quote:

"Money isn't everything.  Unless it's a rebuy tournament."

The News...

Origin Story: Ryan Conner 

A few nights ago, I got a chance to catch up with Ryan Conner after his red hot summer of cashes.  Check out what he has done the past few months.....

I was able to pick his brain a bit about both this run and poker in general.  Here's how it went:

Me: Ryan, You had a fantastic summer with multiple cashes at the WSOP in Vegas and then 2 more at the WSOP circuit event in Tulsa. But really, even early in the year we were discussing the rate at which you were cashing smaller field, local tournaments. Which of these tournament results are you the most proud of?

Ryan: Really they all hold a place when you think about all that went into them. But I would have to say the Turbo Bounty at the WSOP in which I finished 26th. That one was great because I was really just one flip (in which I was ahead) from having a stack that would very likely make it to the final table. Add to that, the big names I was up against (some of which I am grateful I didn't know at the time) and that would have to be the one that stands out.

Me: How did you get started in poker?

Ryan: Moneymaker. After that, about 6 or 8 of us started playing a home game. That grew to the point we were running a game and I found myself playing about 50 hours a week. Losing! As with anything, you need a lot of practice. Unfortunately, in poker, that practice can get expensive.

Me: Do you consider yourself a tournament player as opposed to a ring (cash) player?

Ryan: I do. I do. I consider myself a decent cash player but tournaments have always been my favorite.

Me: What do you do for study?

Ryan: I have read quite a few books. I started with Super System II, have learned a lot from Negreanu, and am now working on GTO using apps such as GTO Wizard. I try to study every night and especially after a session. I keep a journal of hands I played, my miss steps, and my opponent's play. I even have a couple passages on you my friend.

Me: I'll bet you do.  What's your motivation going forward and what can we expect next?

Ryan: I am going to Choctaw for the circuit event next month. And in December WPT comes to the Wynn and it's going to be a huge event.
Last year's WSOP was my first time playing large fields and it has suited me well. On another level, you can expect me to continue learning and trying to get better. Of course a bracelet or a ring would be awesome!

Me: If you get one of those, we are doing another interview!

 

 

Joining the Game...

Whenever I post on Facebook about joining our group, I will usually have a person ask how to join.  I copy and paste an old email that I sent out to the previous person and sometimes we will gain a new member.  However, I got to thinking that it would be nice to have a dedicated page on our blog site that would give instructions to anyone reading and also a place for all of you players to send a person that you think may be interested.

Voila.  Simply send them here.  It is also easily accessible from the homepage directory of our blog which is https://tuesdayfreezeout.blogspot.com/

Keeping new, responsible players coming to our game is a positive and lifeblood that we have all done a great job with.  I like that our game is growing organically as it creates opportunities for us all to meet and play with different players.  Once they figure out how much fun we are having for $25 a week, they are usually hooked.

 

 

Next time.....  Narrowing the parameters of the WSOP prize pool distribution.

The prize pool sits at exactly $2000. and it's time to give you players a little more information on how the prize pool will be divided come May 2024.  Stay tuned....

Next Meetup Live Game 10.2.23.  6:30 at the VFW

Zoom with Joe!  Joe hosts a free zoom meetup during our Tuesday Freezeout games.  Give it a try if that sounds like fun.

The ZOOM password is 432777

Image

2023-2024 Points Leaders

  1. Michael Culpepper 15
  2. Marty Kunz 13
  3. Adrienne Culpepper 10
  4. Efren Hinojosa 9
  5. Rey Martinez 9
  6. Stan Blazyk 6
  7. Carlos Price 6
  8. Joe Schwenk 6

Recent Results

  • August 22nd, 2023
  • 1st - Rey
  • 2nd - Carlos
  • 3rd - Marty
  •  
  • August 29th, 2023
  • 1st - Joe
  • 2nd - Rey
  • 3rd - Stan
  •  
  • September 5th, 2023
  • 1st - Marty
  • 2nd - Brenda
  • 3rd - Brian G.

Coach's Corner

When I select content for the Coach's corner, I sometimes think something along the lines of "should I be letting my opponents in on this"?

 

Well, with this video and concept, that rings especially true.  Learning optimal preflop opening ranges and from what position to make them is absolutely essential to a players progress.  

 

Also, Mr. Little offers a downloadable version of these for FREE.  

 

It's unbelievable how generous some people are.  You can thank me later.

Image

2023-2024 Points Leaders

Recent Tuesday Freezeout Results

  1. Michael Culpepper 15
  2. Marty Kunz 13
  3. Adrienne Culpepper 10
  4. Efren Hinojosa 9
  5. Rey Martinez 9
  6. Stan Blazyk 6
  7. Carlos Price 6
  8. Joe Schwenk 6

Recent Results

  • August 22nd, 2023
  • 1st - Rey
  • 2nd - Carlos
  • 3rd - Marty
  •  
  • August 29th, 2023
  • 1st - Joe
  • 2nd - Rey
  • 3rd - Stan
  •  
  • September 5th, 2023
  • 1st - Marty
  • 2nd - Brenda
  • 3rd - Brian G.

Coach's Corner

When I select content for the Coach's corner, I sometimes think something along the lines of "should I be letting my opponents in on this"?

 

Well, with this video and concept, that rings especially true.  Learning optimal preflop opening ranges and from what position to make them is absolutely essential to a players progress.  

 

Also, Mr. Little offers a downloadable version of these for FREE.  

 

It's unbelievable how generous some people are.  You can thank me later.

Venmo Addresses

 

Michael Culpepper - @Michael-Culpepper-14

Joe Schwenk - @Joseph-Schwenk

Jonathan Ayala - @Jonathan-Ayala-55

Have any questions or feedback for this newsletter?  If so, please email me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet the legend. - Jerze Joe

2024 WSOP Prize Pool Allocation

For the Win!